Managing credit notes is essentially the same process as managing invoices, with only slight alterations. You may with to edit a credit note, to correct a mistake. Delete one you have wrongfully added, or simply void after change of agreement with your client. The article below shows you the steps you can take to accomplish any of the above actions: along with copying, sending by email and performing export of credit notes in bulk.
Important note: Managing a supplier credit record is available in "...More-> Supplier credit". The options available are similar to the ones of a bill entry you wish to manage.
Edit credit notes
You can edit a credit note directly from the credit note overview page. Navigate to "...More-> Credit notes" and open the record you wish to edit.
- If a credit note is already issued, you need to change its status back to "Draft" prior to being deleted. The system does not allow immediate deletion of "Issued" invoices to prevent accidental data loss.
- If there are payments sent associated with it, they need to be either removed from the document or permanently deleted. Please note, that, if you have applied credit on the associated invoice, removing the indication from the credit note will remove it from the invoice, as well.
From the Credit note overview, click 'Edit' to start processing
If the credit note is already issued, Elorus will ask you to confirm the status change.
Force sequencial numbering restrictions
If the option is activated in your account, Elorus will not allow you to edit issued credit notes. Therefore, you would need to temporarily deactivate it to proceed. An alternative would be to void the credit note and move on to issuing a new one.
To deactivate, go to Settings -> Application settings and uncheck the related option (you may "check" it again once you're done editing invoices).
Delete credit notes
You may delete credit notes in bulk or separately.
- If a credit note is already issued, you need to change its status back to "Draft" prior to deletion. The system does not allow immediate deletion of "Issued" credit notes to prevent accidental data loss.
- If there are payments sent associated with it, they need to be removed or deleted. (payments received if this is regarding a supplier credit note).
To change status, open the credit note you wish to delete and click 'Edit' . Follow the steps described above.
Once you go back to editing you, may use the delete button and the credit note will no longer be found anywhere in the app.
From your list of credit notes, you can select one or more (draft) records you wish to delete. To proceed, click "Actions-> Delete selected"
- The action will not be completed for credit notes that are not draft.
- Before permanently deleting a credit note, make sure that this action does not violate the serial numbering rules. You run the risk of creating "gaps" in your numbering that you may not be able to fix afterwards. To avoid these gaps, activate "force sequential numbering".
Void credit notes
- A credit note must be "Issued" before it is voided.
- There should be no payments (sent) associated with it.
If the requirements are fulfilled, click on the (...) and select Void.
When you click on the "Void" option a warning will be displayed, as shown in the image below:
Notice that, by voiding the credit note:
- "Edit", "PDF" and "Email" buttons become inactive.
- the number cannot be used again: numbering will continue. For example, if the credit note you voided was number B-12, the following credit note you add in the sequence will be B-13.
- it remains in the system for future reference but is not involved in Elorus reports.
Deleting void credit notes
To ensure your sequential numbering remains intact, you cannot delete a void credit note. You can, however, turn it back to issued by clicking (... -> Mark as issued) and then proceed to Edit -> Set back to Draft -> Delete. For more detail see related paragraph.
Besides deleting credit notes (see above paragraph), you have a number of other actions that you can perform in bulk. Navigate to "...More-> Credit notes" to find the options described below:
Copy credit notes
From the list of "Credit notes" you may select the desired ones and in turn click "Actions-> Copy selected". The application will create "draft" credit notes, identical to the ones you selected in the previous step.
If you wish to change the client, you can simply open the draft credit note and hit "Edit".
Usefulness: You have issued a credit, sent it to a customer and now you want an identical one to be added-with the same products, same prices. You can skip the "adding" process by coping the credit note.
Email credit notes
You may email credit notes to your clients, in bulk or separately. For the bulk action to be available, credit notes need to have 'issued' status. To view further options regarding email see related article.
Export pdf/attachments to zip file
From the list of "credit notes" you can one or more and click "Actions-> Export pdf/attachments to zip file". In a few minutes, all of your credit notes will be received in your email, in pdf form, along the files attached to them. Read more...